It's MLK Day in the U.S. It seems fitting and right to look for inspiration and instruction from this leader to apply to our own redefinition as an industry. This is meant by no means to compare the struggles of U.S. Civil Rights movement with those of today's U.S. manufacturers - but how this man influenced his time and history are compelling, and should not be forgotten:
- "Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better."
- "All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence."
- "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent."
- "Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness."
- "Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness."
- "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."
This man's message and actions - peace, courage, persistence and persaverance - are timeless lessons, that hopefulness and strength can and will win the day.
Happy MLK Day to everyone, from MFG.com.